In December 1895, Rev. S.G. Miller of the First Presbyterian Church in Little Rock organized a mission of 13 members in Argenta. The Argenta Presbyterian Church was organized on March 5, 1899 and soon a site on 4th and Maple was purchased. The first worship service was held on November 2, 1902 in their new building. In 1920, Argenta became North Little Rock so the name of the church was then North Little Rock Presbyterian Church.
Over the years from 1920-1948, lots of plans were made and adjusted, purchasing more area around the church property. By 1950, the congregation was ready to build a new sanctuary and retained John Parks Almand to design the new building. His plans for the sanctuary were a simplified version of the Gothic Revival style with a steeply pitched roof and pointed arch windows. His design also included an arcade porch with pointed arch openings to tie the new sanctuary into the old. Many things changed around the church in the 1990’s and once again plans were made and adjusted, including the name change (again!) to First Presbyterian Church, North Little Rock.
It is amazing to think of all the baptisms, weddings, funerals, words of worship sung and prayed, smiles shared and tears shed together since 1895. In 2020, the church will continue to seek God’s leading as a commission of the Arkansas Presbytery leads the administrative and worship work.